About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Thursday 5 July 2012

Complete Rest in Bed...

"Nearly everyone has low back pain at some time during their life…"

I had my bout of lower back pain several times before but this time it was the worst. I can't even bend down to touch my knees! Even the slightest movements will send jolts of pain to my spines.


On Monday, Sara and I went to Dewi Sri Spa and had an hour of traditional massage. They said massage therapy is a great, non-invasive method of treating back pain as it increases circulation to the injured muscles. The same afternoon, we went to the clinic and doctor gave me loads of muscle relaxants and pain-killers and told me to rest.

I am now in complete rest in bed mode with cold and hot packs permanently stuck to my back. I guess my suffering is due in part to the aging process but also as a result of sedentary lifestyles with too little exercise.

7 comments:

  1. Take your much needed rest. Maybe should take a break from the long distance rides too.

    My dear other half had pains in the upper back almost all the time and at times unbearable. A massage will ease the pain but last for only a short time. Ada orang kata some being is piggy riding her. Any truth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tok Ngah,
    I am resting in bed completely now. Even take time off this week from my duty taking care of my mum.

    Have taken pain killers and muscle relaxants, loadful too but the pain is still there.

    Bawa lah your other half jumpa orang yang pandai tilik, mungkin there's some truth to it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are other signs too seperti yg disebut2 pengamal perubatan alternativ. But bila buat x-ray ada slight skew of her backbone. Doc kata that was the cause.

    We are looking for pengamal perubatan batin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aunty,

    I'm Sara's friend, the yoga instructor. Earlier commenter, Tok Ngah is right about possibility of skewed spine / scoliosis / compressed lower spine disc that went undetected in earlier age and worsens as our bone density becomes less compact.

    When new students come to me for yoga advice to alleviate lower back pain, the best I can give is - to strengthen lower core muscle so that the core does the work instead of the lower back.

    Sit-up is not really recommended as it works mainly upper abs and done wrong, lower back pain will get intensified and neck discomfort might arrive. I don't recommend running / jogging for now either as not only the lower back disc might be even more compressed, knee joints might wear out too as the knees might compensate the work to ease the pain in the back while running.

    Legs raise exercise (keeping the back flat on the floor, drawing belly in) would be much recommended.

    If exercising is not in your plate right now, maybe aunty can consider acupunture from a recommended practitioner for quick pain relief?

    Just my two cent of what I think might help based of my experience of natural healing, drug-free and not invasive :)

    All the best aunty! Anything that doesn't kill us only makes us stronger within. If not more patient..


    Love and light,
    Ninie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ninie,
    Thanks for the tips.

    I am now able to walk with ease, but still experiencing discomfort when i bend down...

    I guess, at this age my body has lost its limberness and i've got to slowdown a little...

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. as salam kak mon, how r u?
    this is nish your mentee.. pls keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nish,
    Hope you still have my mobile no. You take care...

    ReplyDelete