About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Tuesday 23 January 2007

A minah rempit?

"When you have your nose in the air, it's difficult to appreciate the treasures that lie close to the earth..."

(2003 - Leisure ride to Frazer's Hill on my Honda Shadow...)

I looked up this definition in the Wiki. A Mat Rempit is 'an individual who participates in illegal street racing', usually involving under-boned motorbikes or a kapcai. A Minah Rempit must be the female counterpart…

I love to ride the motorbike even at a young age. I love street racings and skinned knees and elbows a few times much too often. Hubby loves to ride too. When we were in campus we used to own a motorbike. So when we had the opportunity with bikers friends we used to race each other and pushed our adrenalin to the max. A few years back when hubby decided to buy a big bike, I was ok with the decision for I love to feel the wind on my face again...

Was I a Minah Rempit? Am I still now?

When I passed my LCE and got enrolled into Form 4 Science in Sultan Ismail College in the 70’s, my abah was so proud of me and he decided to buy me a motorbike. That was the first vehicle bought in the family. The only ‘kenderaan’ we ever had was the old ‘basikal unta’ used by my abah to transport him daily to work from our polis flat in Wakaf Mek Zainab to the polis HQ in kota Bharu.

I was the first girl in school to ride a motorbike. It was the talk of the town. Helmet was not compulsory. I didn’t even have a full licence then. I began to join a group of bikers I met at Pantai Cinta Berahi. I began to spend my weekends riding and racing with them and we became very close. I began to avoid my girl friends. My boy friend disapproved of my association with the bikers as they were mostly dropouts. I was having a hell of a good time then and couldn’t be bothered with his feelings. Slowly, we drifted apart.

(1979 - merempit with the BBA gang in Langkawi)

After form 5 I was accepted to further my study in KL. With heavy heart, I left my bikers friends. In the beginning, every opportunity I had during semester breaks was spent with them. But slowly, my bikers gang began to split too. We grew older and wiser and had other commitments . I missed them. I missed all the fun. We have not crossed path since then but the memory I had with my bikers friends in KB will always linger in my mind.

p.s. To my bikers friends especially Raja Shah Z, where are you now?

8 comments:

  1. it was scooter era during my college days kak. jadila minah scoot. Hehe..i sat for the exams and renew my L license every 3 months. sampai skrg takde lesen penuh.. naik scooter boleh pakai skirt, kebaya dgn ayunya. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think its going to be one of my to-do list

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kunci,
    Masa kat college, hubby and I rented a room away from campus. Hari2 gi campus naik moto. Time tu famous students pakai scrambler… Puh! Punya la rugged.

    Tapi bila hari Jumaat, kalau pakai baju kurung kena lah naik side saddle, sopan sikit he he…

    *****

    Lina,
    My to-do list used to be panjang berjela2. Banyak betul angan2 mat jenin. Tapi somehow I need to prioritize by hobbies.

    Tengah kemaruk cari sites yang cantik untuk diexplore dengan 4x4….

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come to think of it your ‘born-free’ lifestyle has indeed put many to envy, including yours truly. I told my wife your story and frankly I cannot imagine you riding a 750cc machine all by yourself. My best was Kawasaki 70cc cub in my early years. I may play better squash than you (of course you have the right to prove me wrong :) but I am still learning how to live life to the fullest.

    I look forward to more ‘yam-cha’ (means drink tea in Cantonese) sessions, let’s park business aside at times.

    Best regards,
    Hc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kak nong...bike besar tu...kak nong boleh bawak ye...Wow! salutelah kat kak nong....seronok kan naik bike...especially ngan hubby...Terasa macam dlm filem bobby...hahaha...bobby yang dah tembam...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hc,

    Thank you for the compliments. There is more to life than making a name or tons of money, which I am in right now (literally) :). Unfortunately the loads of cash are not mine...

    Looking forward to a kopitiam rendezvous…

    *****

    Lady,
    Bawak kat hi-way tu ok lah, jangan dalam town susah nak mencelah. Tapi kalau dah jatuh tu tinggal aje moto tu kat tepi jalan. Tak larat nak angkat :)

    Teringat masa muda2 dulu. Tengok filem bobby dengan pakwe. Masa tu takde moto, tunggang basikal unta je…

    Tembam takpe, jangan boroi. He he…

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Kak Nong, tak sangka sungguh you're a Minah Rempit, hehe! I can't imagine myself doing anything close to that - I am so phobic of motorcycles!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. QOTH,
    Dah tua2 ni tak rempit lagi. Kita go for easy-ride je. he he...

    ReplyDelete