About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Thursday 1 February 2018

Momento from Holland (2002)

“Do not ruin today with mourning tomorrow.” ― Catherynne M. Valente

(The windmills of Holland)


The Iconic Windmills of Holland

Historically, windmills in Holland served many purposes. The most important probably was pumping water out of the lowlands and back into the rivers beyond the dikes so that the land could be farmed. In the fourteenth century, hollow-post mills were used to drive scoop wheels to drain the wetlands. The Molen de Roos in Delft began its life as a hollow-post type and was later rebuilt with a higher stone construction in the eighteenth century. Today it has been restored and is open for viewing.

In Amsterdam, you can see the Molen de Otter, the only wind-powered sawmill left in operation.

We were in the Netherlands in February 2002 visiting the cities of Amsterdam, the Hague and Rotterdam.

My Overseas Travel Blog: munmus.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment