About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Thursday 23 August 2018

Kelantan: Tangga Bradley Kuala Krai...

“No matter how much suffering you went through, you never wanted to let go of those memories...” - Haruki Murakami

(Some memories are unforgettable)

Although I was born in Melaka, I spent most of my younger years in Kelantan. And every time I recalled those wonderful years it never fail to melt the hardest part of my heart! 

We planned to attend a nephew's wedding in Kubang Kerian on the 3rd day of Eidil Adha. On this trip we planned to visit some places of interests in Kelantan, one of which is Tangga Bradley located in Kuala Krai Town and another, the oldest Kampung Laut Mosque in Nilam Puri. 

(A new archway of Tangga Bradley)
(Some write-ups on the history)

Our journey from Kuala Lumpur via the Gua Musang route was uneventful. When we reached Kuala Krai, it was not difficult to locate Tangga Bradley. Somehow and sadly, it was very different from the picture I kept in my faded memory. Tangga Bradley is located by the Kelantan River, adjacent to Kuala Krai District Police Headquarters. It is a walking distance from Kuala Krai bus and taxi station. 

(A total of 81 steps to the river)
(The markers to mark the flood level)

The stairs looks new and well maintained, with a new vibrant coloured archway. The stairs was built around 1927 and named after the then Kuala Krai’s Chief Administrator, Sir Bradley. Tangga Bradley serves as a mini jetty for the villages around the embankment of the river which are not accessible by road. The farmers unload their agricultural produce here to be sold at the wet market in town. It is also a place to measure the water level of Sungai Kelantan during the monsoon season. The staircase has 81 steps. 

(Walking down memory lane)
(A place we used to play)

My late father used to stay on the raft by the river during Police operations during monsoon seasons. My siblings and I used to play on the rafts during our short visits. We love to run up and down the 81 steps or sometimes swim in the rough river under close supervision. When the weather got rough and the river began to bloat, to our disappointment, my father will pack our bags and sent us off to the bus station for our journey back to our Police Barrack in Kota Bharu. During our teenage days in Kota Bharu, the Big Five and the girl scout gang used to cycle or hitch-hike to Kuala Krai and earned our scout badges. Kuala Krai is about 75 km from Kota Bharu. I often wonder where did we get the energy to cycle or hike that far.

(A floating restaurant on Kelantan River)

Tangga Bradley’s name has changed to ‘Tangga Krai’ in 1994. I don’t know why they had to change the name but I will remember the place as Tangga Bradley as I still harboured fond memories which I will always cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment