About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Wednesday 12 September 2012

Momento from Switzerland (2001)

“Life gives you plenty of time to do whatever you want to do if you stay in the present moment.” — Deepak Chopra

(Edelweiss embroidery collections)

The mystical and mythical edelweiss

Edelweiss, which grows high in the Alps and is regarded in Switzerland as a national symbol. The edelweiss, or scientifically known as Leontopodium alpinum, is technically not a single flower but more than 50 to 500 tiny florets clustered in 2 to 12 yellow flower heads, surrounded by 5 to 15 velvety white leaves arranged in the shape of a star.

It can be found in many Alpine countries at high altitudes, with the highest recorded sighting at 3,140 metres just above Zermatt. It blooms from July to September on exposed limestone rocks. Despite its delicate appearance, every one of the flower’s organs is designed to withstand extreme weather, makes it particularly attractive for use in anti-aging cosmetics and sunscreen.

We were in Zurich, Switzerland in June 2003.

My Overseas Travel Blog: munmus.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment