About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Wednesday 25 October 2006

Near miss, close shave...

"There's nothing sadder than getting to the end of your life and saying: I didn't do it right..."


It was the second day of Hari Raya and we were on our way to Melaka.

All my siblings were already at my parents’ house. Tonight there will be a majlis bertunang for one of my nephews. Our kids didn’t follow us as they have to start work right after the Raya holidays.

It was still drizzling when we started our journey late that afternoon. Earlier it was raining quite heavily. The road was wet and slippery, but the traffic flow was surprisingly smooth. Hubby drove carefully and slowed down when we approached the sharp corner of the Sungai Besi flyover bridge. We were engrossed in our conversation, when it happened.

In one split second our car skidded and slithered from the center of the road and hit the barrister. Hubby reacted quickly, managed to straightened the car but the road was too slippery and the car hit the barrister the second time. We were lucky that the cars in front and behind were a distance away and avoided smashing right into our uncontrolled car.

During that few seconds, hubby's biggest concern was to get the car off the barrister and avoid the car from flying over the bridge. My biggest concern was how my beloved kids will take to the news of losing both their parents at the same time. In that few seconds, my entire life reeled in my mind in slow motion. In my life, the last fifty years were littered with near misses and close shaves. And I was thinking that all it takes is this one particular moment.

I was not injured and neither was he. But we were shocked to the bone….

6 comments:

  1. I'm always worried for you.

    AS

    ReplyDelete
  2. kak nong, i'm glad you both are okay, Alhamdulillah

    ReplyDelete
  3. AS,
    I know you are always concern about me. Don't worry too much...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama,
    Alhamdulillah... We were lucky we weren't speeding that time. Hubby managed to control the car well.

    If not...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alhamdulillah both of u are fine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue,
    Alhamdulillah... Cuma sakit pinggang tak hilang lagi :)

    ReplyDelete