About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Tuesday 17 April 2007

Summons to a witness...

“Keep in mind that people change, but the past doesn't…” - Becca Fitzpatrick

'

In the mid-eighties, when I was still a junior officer in my old department, I was often called to the court to be the expert witness on exchange rates. I was frequented by officers from the police department and sometimes, from the Jabatan Kastam to get a statement from me by virtue of my position as the officer in-charge. My boss then, being quite a man of the nation now, in his own manner and candor would pass all cases to me.

‘ you’re the expert in foreign exchange, mesti boleh jawab soalan2 lawyer tu. Kalau tak boleh jawab, kelentong je… he he…’

The first time I stood in the ‘kandang saksi’ I was shivering from head to toes and couldn’t comprehend what had been asked. I mumbled my answers and all I heard towards the end of my testimonial was, ‘Puan telah dibebaskan dari menjadi saksi….’ I was overladen with gratitude, as if I was the accused being freed of all charges, and muttering expression of thanks in at least several languages to the judge.

The story did not just end there. In my present department I was often subpoenaed as an expert witness – incidentally, nothing to do with exchange rates any more. The past two weeks in a row, I have been traveling up and down the hi-way, sometimes to Bentong and at times to Kuala Kubu Baru to attend the court cases. And just now my officer handed me the familiar blue slip of paper and cheekily said:

‘Puan telah disaman supaya hadir di hadapan Mahkamah Majistret di Tapah pada sekian-sekian haribulan he he…’

Such is the not so straightforward nature of the physical and psychological make-up of my job.

7 comments:

  1. kira dah berjuta juta kali la akak kena saman yek? ok la tu..baik jugak selalu ke court..boleh berkenalan dengan segala lawyer dan judge :0)

    it sounds so tiring even as i am reading it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simah,
    The travelling is relaxing as i love to drive. The thinking is more tiring. You have to recall fact of case even 3-4 years back.

    Most cases are simple but some can be very complicated....

    ReplyDelete
  3. all in day's work kan nong:P...i like driving through...gives us time to think

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lina,
    Yes, all in a day's work. Ini baru kerja sampingan. Kerja2 lain tu kena langsai kan...

    Hazia,
    Tak kena gaya berpeluh jugak...

    ReplyDelete
  5. aduh, nong, your job sounds very stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intan,
    Itu sebab, kejap2 kena ambil long leave nak hilangkan tension.. he he

    ReplyDelete