About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Thursday 26 July 2018

Thailand 300-year Old Mosques...

"The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family..." - Lee Iacocca

(Crossing the border at Pengkalan Hulu)

During our 4x4 trip from Betong to Hatyai from 26 - 28 July 2018, we visited many mosques along the route. Out of the many and not to be missed, are two historical and oldest mosques in Thailand situated in the districts of Narathiwat and Pattani.

(Masjid Wadi Hussein at Telok Manok, Narathiwat)

The first mosque was the 300 Years Mosque also known as Al-Hussein Mosque or Talo Mano Mosque is one of the oldest mosques in Thailand. Located in Narathiwat, a southern province in Thailand, it is in use today by the large Muslim community in the area. The mosque was built in 1634 to serve the newly settled Muslim community during that time. It is the oldest wooden mosque in Thailand.

(Masjid Kerisik, Pattani)

Another old mosque was Krue Se Mosque also called Gresik Mosque or Pitu Krue-ban Mosque is located in Pattani Province, Thailand. It was begun in about 1583, but was never completed because of a power struggle between the sultan of Pattani and his brother. The present structure is on the same site and dates to the 18th century. It features a mixture of Middle Eastern and European architectural styles. The mosque is claimed by some Pattani people to have been built by the Chinese pirate Lin Daoqian. In 2004, during a period of insurgency, Thai military personnel attacked and killed 32 muslim during Isya prayer. The bullet holes could be seen around the main door of the mosque, a reminder of the unfortunate massacre.

Visit my travel blog for details of my travel at munmus.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment