About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Thursday 27 May 2010

The rat race…

"Money is not the prime asset in life. Time is..."


There is a saying: Anyone who lives within their means suffer from a lack of imagination...

I was in a meeting with the officials from our Spanish counterpart when the topic of me retiring before the end of year cropped up again. ‘Why do you want to retire now? You are still young – unless you already have lots of money…’ I told him that I am reaching my official retirement age, unless my organisation would offer to extend my employment on a contract basis, which I doubt they would. A little arrogance here but no offence intended, if they do offer me, I would politely decline. But needless to say, many will scramble to accept the offer, for the pay is much, much more that being offered elsewhere.

For most people wealth is measured in dollars and cents but for me wealth is measured in term of time. If I stop working today, how many years can I cover all my living expenses? If the answer is forever, then I am wealthy. Like most people, I have struggled with saving enough money at the end of every month to meet my retirement goals. I want to be wealthy and free from the bonds of employment and free from debts.

My advice, to my children especially, there are no hard and fast rules but if you really put your mind into it, you potentially can achieve your goals quite easily. One thing for sure, you have to clear your debts and change the lifestyles that forever keep you stuck in the daily rat race.

No comments:

Post a Comment