About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Monday 30 August 2010

Learned from adversity…

"The world is like a mirror; frown at it, and it frowns at you. Smile, and it smiles, too..." - Herbert Samuel
 
Tonight, we celebrated the blessing of good health and wealth with our wonderful family.

By popular demand, we had our family dinner at Victoria Station for an early celebration for our 31st Anniversary and Iwan’s birthday which both fall on 1st September. We had not called for a reservation but were quite confident that there will be seats available. We reached the restaurant a little late and way after iftar hour. And we were not overly hungry for we already had our ‘berbuka puasa’ with some kueh mueh at home.

Each of us ordered our favourite dish and by the time we finished we were full to the brim and some of us were contemplating not to bersahur later on.

As for me, I have always berbuka puasa with simple light meals. So tonight, my ravenous indulgence in chillie spare ribs and banana split for dessert has resulted in me lying wide awake in the wee hour of the night while the whole world is past asleep.

I should have known better not to over eat. There are a few things that I should have learned from adversity.

(Table for 8 and a half)

7 comments:

  1. Nong,
    I have been here once, quite some time ago, and book-marked as one for another visit. Something drew my interest and I wonder what.

    What a coincidence that today is a birthday in my family. A few days ago we celebrated our anniversary, a lot more than yours. If you are thankful we are evn more so.

    Now I remember what attracted me. It was reading you saying about the loss of one, leaving two. We have three and we have not experienced a loss. I was sorry then when I read what you wrote and I still do. Anyway, happy anniversary to the two of you.

    On our anniversay we said to one another that we were old. Was it sadness and regret? No we are gateful to have come this far when many never have. We thank HIM for what HE has granted us. We own nothing.

    Selamat berpuasa
    Pakcik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pakcik,
    It was a celebration of many occasions, one after another beginning with hubby's birthday, our 32nd anniversary (lama tu, but not as long as yours), my son's birthday and the grand-daughter's birthday coming soon.

    With all the festivities, i miss my late son and this heart still bleeds thinking of him.

    We’ve all been there, haven’t we?

    A reminder that we all go through the same ordeal in life. I am not alone in experiencing the peril and struggles. I thank HIM for his incredible love for me and family and to teach us the secret on how to be content with life. To give us strength through difficulties and sadness.

    Selamat mengerjakan ibadah puasa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. salam kak nong

    Selamat untuk semua kak...32 tahun dan still kicking!

    Thanks for yr raya card..dah lama tak dapat kad raya ni kak..rasa macam zaman muda muda dulu pulak....

    salam ramadan , salam merdeka dan salam hari raya yang bakal tiba...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam k nong,
    Happy anniversary to both of you..32 years is a very long time yet still going strong.I admire that sis..
    Thanks for d card which I received today,surprised jugak sbb lama tak dpt kad raya dah..but I like it..
    Selamat menyambut hari merdeka esok...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry guys, it was my 31st wedding anniversary not 32nd. I have amended the post. Regardless, it is still a handful of wonderful years...

    *****

    Ezzah,
    Young love is fired with heights of wild passion. As we age we wish to seek for a lifelong companionship who will still love and take care of us..

    *****

    Madam,
    If I pick just about any aspect of life, I can bet it's not the same as when we first met. I too wonder how we’ve managed to keep the flame burning all the while...

    *****

    p.s. The raya card is courtesy of BNM. I will not have the priviledge once I retire, which is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salam Kak Nong...

    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY buat akak dan suami...selamat Harijadi buat Iwan dan harijadi cucu yg akan datang...
    Semoga dipanjangkan usia dan dimurahkan rezeki...

    Buat akak dan suami...semoga kebahgiaan itu kekal abadi hingga ke akhir hayat dan sihat sentiasa...

    Kak...kad yang dikirim telah pun diterima...terima kasih banyak...rasa happy sgt sebab dah lama tak dpt kad raya...thanks for the thought...

    SELAMAT HARI RAYA buat akak sekeluarga juga...

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  7. aNie,
    Terima kasih atas ucapan dan doa...

    Dalam alam perkahwinan terdapat pelbagai cabaran dan asam garam kehidupan. Tanpa persefahaman, tidak mungkin dapat menemui kebahagiaan sebagaimana diharapkan.

    We are told that people stay in love because of chemistry. It is also because of biology, physics, maths and the like. A happy marriage has in it all the pleasures of friendships and all the enjoyment of senses...

    Selamat Hari Raya untuk aNie sekeluarga...

    ReplyDelete