About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Thursday 23 February 2006

My Angiogram procedure...

“Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm…” - Winston Churchill


We arrived at Pantai medical Centre before 9 a.m. Datuk Dr Arumugam briefed us of the procedure and explained the reasons for the angiogram. To see if there is a blockage or narrowing in a blood vessel that may interfere with the normal flow of blood through the body. I sign papers to allow the doctor to treat a blocked blood vessel without surgery at the same time the angiogram is performed. The risk of a heart attack during the procedure is 1 in a million. As I just had my full medical examination a week ago and based on the test results, there’s no need to perform blood tests to determine my blood’s ability to clot or to assess my kidney function. I am ready for the Angiogram procedure.

Early this morning the nurse called to remind me not to eat or drink anything within 6 hours of my Angiogram which is scheduled in the afternoon. I was warded in a single room, cozy with simple amenities and with a visitors’ adjoining room. The nurses prepared me for the operation. Once cleaned and shaved, saline and other medications were administered through IV to prepare for any allergic reactions.

At 2 p.m. I was rolled out of the room to the 1st floor. Hubby kissed me outside the operation room as he’s not allowed to be with me. Dr Arumugam and the radiologist were ready for me. The test took place in a room equipped with a specialized x-ray machine. The Angiogram could be done by inserting a catheter into the artery in the groin or in the arm. And I preferred it done through the arm. Before the insertion, the doctor applied local anesthetic to numb the area at my wrist and then made a tiny puncture to reach the artery with a hollow needle, later the doctor advanced a thin wire through the needle, threaded a catheter over the wire, and guided it to the desired location i.e. my heart.

While the procedure was carried out, images were projected on a video screen above my head to show the catheter as it moved through my arteries. Once the catheter was positioned properly, a contrast dye was injected. I felt slight shock, a brief, mild warm feeling as it entered my bloodstream. The doctor took more x-ray images to see how the contrast was flowing through my arteries. During the test, the doctor asked me to lie perfectly still to prevent sudden movements from blurring the x ray pictures. The procedure took over an hour, it was painful and uncomfortable. I was relieved when it’s over. The doctor removed the catheter and insertion site was pressed tightly to stop bleeding. The doctor explained the preliminary readings of the images and showed the area where my blood vessel was slightly constricted before it enters the heart. Tomorrow, I will know the full result.

After the test, I was rolled back to my room. Hubby was there waiting for me and I was glad to see him and informed him of the result. Although worried, he was relieved. The medical team monitored me throughout the rest of the day and night. I have to keep my punctured arm straight to minimize bleeding. I was asked to drink a lot of fluids to prevent dehydration and flush the dye from my kidneys.

During the night, hubby slept on the bed with me holding me close...

No comments:

Post a Comment