About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Sunday 12 June 2005

Urogenital trouble...

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams...” - Eleanor Roosevelt


Ja was napping in the Study when we came home from the spa. I heard him mumbled about tummy ache or something before he rushed out on his motorbike. Sara and I were about to have our hotdog dinner when I received a call from Dr Fatimah from the clinic. There was urgency in her voice and asked me to come to the clinic to fetch Ja. He's in great pain and in no position to ride the bike to the hospital. When I reached the clinic Ja was sprawled on the bench, clutching his tummy. Talked to the doctor and she told me of her initial diagnosis of suspected appendicitis and has not given Ja any shots or painkiller. She has written a referral letter to Hospital Selayang.

We left Ja's bike at the clinic and brought him to Emergency Unit where he was checked in for further urine and blood tests. I saw a few of his brotherhoods hanging around. The words must have gone out to his close friends. While waiting, we ate our soggy, cold hotdogs and tried to read storybooks to relax worried minds. Earlier, I sms his Abah in Hongkong to inform of the situation. I relayed the news as neutral as possible as I don't want him to panic either.

The full result for the test would take a while and Ja was worried about his bike at the clinic. Told him that we will bring the bike home and I need to bring a shawl or sweater to the Hospital, the waiting room was icy cold like a morgue. Sara drove the car and I rode his bike home. It has been a long time since I ride a motorbike. Although the distance is not that far it was quite tricky to ride on the main road especially when Ja's bike does not have side mirrors. Sara looked tired and sleepy so I left her at home and went back to the Hospital to be with Ja.

A couple of friends came over to keep me company for a while. Ja's girlfriend was also there with him. When the results were out they have a different diagnosis for Ja's pain. It was not appendicitis but something to do with twisted nerves or blood vessels to the scrotum. Scrotal swelling is quite common according to the doctor and may occur in both boys and adults. Majority cases are not serious and can be easily treated. The doctor suggested a small operation to correct the problem before it becomes serious and may affect fertility and a lot more other problems later on. We also sought second opinion from another doctor. Ja was told about the risks of leaving the problem as is. It may recur any time later.

Somehow operation seems to scare Ja and he decided not to undergo the surgery. According to him, a friend of his experienced the same problem and has take alternative medication and goes for traditional massage. I tried to coax him but my Ja is a stubborn boy. Even a call from his Abah couldn't talk him into it. We argued with Ja but no amount of persuasion can changed his already set mind. At the end, all of us become so frustrated and let Ja decided his own fate and take the risks. Without going for surgery, the doctor advised for a 48-hour observation period so Ja has to be warded for a day or two.

I stayed for a while with Ja and when they moved him to the ward I went for a much-needed drive to release some uneasiness in my heart. I drove around for a while for a breeze of fresh air to clear my worried mind. The calls from Hong Kong brought mixed reactions, I felt dear hubby's existence so near to me yet he's so far. I know he would want to be with me at times like this. He knows how helpless I would be without him. It is too much to bear alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment