About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Sunday 8 August 2004

Studio in the woods...

“Ideas won't keep; something must be done about them…” - Alfred North Whitehead


I was fascinated with Nik Min’s art collections.

The last time we were at her place she brought us up to the attic. She had cleverly transformed the place into a nice cozy studio. You’ll feel like you are in a small art gallery, displaying collections of paintings, drawings and sketches. Her hidey-hole, when she wants to be alone. She could stay there for hours. Knowing her fad and habit, her husband has given her total freedom to do what she likes. She had converted the walls into folding wood paneling, all four walls could be open to create a sense of vastness of space. No grills or windows. Situated at the end of the road, the view from the fourth floor attic is beautifully magnificent, especially the one facing the back of the house, creating the atmosphere of a tree house in the woods. A sense of peace and tranquility.

When you were up there, time stopped. Like you were stepping into a threshold, a sensation I found disturbingly intimate. Especially when it was dusk, the gloom seemed almost a solid thing, in spite of the open walls, the light appeared to stop short, as though caught in an invisible web. Into a journey to bring back childhood memories, fears and fairy tales.

It’s a pity they have to put up the bungalow for sale soon. They are moving into their new bungalow end of this year. I guess the house is too big just for the two of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment