About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Wednesday 27 July 2022

Masjid Jamek Rawana, Penang - 1801

“There are no mistakes, only opportunities…” - Tina Fey

(Masjid Jamek Rawana, Penang)

5.40995 100.31583
05°24′35.82″N 100°18′56.99″E

Masjid Jamek Rawana is an old Indian Muslim mosque at the junction of Perak Road and Jalan P. Ramlee. It is located a short distance away from Masjid Khan Muhammad. It is considered as one of the oldest mosques in Penang. 

(A double storey mosque)
(A beautiful old mosque)
(Arches in the main prayer hall)

Very little is known about the history of Jamek Rawana Mosque. It believed to be established in the 19th century, when Indian traders come up Sungai Pinang by sampan and disembarked there to trade with the locals.

The Rawana Mosque was recently flooded which caused the loss of furniture, carpets and prayer mats.

(The back of the mosque)
(Old grave yard)
(A peek at the graves)
(Old graves brightly painted)

No comments:

Post a Comment