About Me

My photo
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

Friday 1 October 2004

Momento from the Netherlands (2002)

"A nation's culture resides in the hearts and souls of its people..." - Mahatma Gandhi

(Beautiful decoration of Delftware)

Dutch Blue Delftware

The main difference between China porcelain and Holland Porcelain is in fact there is no porcelain at all. That is because porcelain requires china clay, also called kaolin, which is not found in the Netherlands. That is the reason why Delftware factories introduced imitation porcelain products made of Dutch clay. They aimed to copy the Chinese product as close as they could. And not without success, because their sophisticated, luxurious earthenware products were widely considered the best alternative to genuine exported porcelain. 

That is how Delftware factories became the low-cost warehouses of the Golden Age with an enormous impact on the Dutch way of life.

I was in Netherlands in February 2002.

My Overseas Travel Blog: munmus.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment